Best Massage Chair Reviews
Hello and welcome to YourPerfectMassage.com! This site is dedicated to helping you find the best massage chair reviews to help you narrow down your massage chair search. Through countless hours of research, I have put together notes and opinions on which massage chairs I believe are the most functional, useful, helpful in easing back pain, and the best overall “bang for your buck”. Below you will find the top massage chairs based on my research, along with additional information such as: the different types of massage styles, benefits of massage chairs, what to consider when choosing a chair, exactly how massage chairs work, the different brands on the market, frequently asked questions, and my final thoughts when it comes to picking the best massage chair.
If at any time while reviewing this site you have a question, please feel free to contact me or leave a comment on one of the pages.
- Best Massage Chair Reviews
- Massage Chair Reviews
- History of Massage Chairs
- Massage Techniques
- Types of Massage Chairs
- Benefits of Massage Chairs
- Best Massage Chair Reviews of 2017
- Tips For Purchasing a Massage Chair
- How much are you willing to spend?
- What features do I need versus what features do I want?
- What is the warranty on the massage chair?
- Am I purchasing this massage chair from a reputable seller?
- How big of a massage chair do I want?
- Does the massage chair brand have a good reputation?
- Is it simple to repair?
- How Massage Chairs Work
- Massage Chair Brands
- Massage Chair FAQ
- Wrapping up…
History of Massage Chairs
Robotic massage chairs have slowly been gaining popularity now that people lead lives in which stress and tension takes its toll in the form of upper and lower back pain. However, massage chairs have been around much longer than one might think. They were first brought to market in 1954 by the Family Fujiryoki company in Japan. These chairs were very rudimentary in their design and only had basic massage functions (e.g. small rollers, no preset massages). Eventually massage chairs made their way from Japan to the United States in 1968 when a massage therapist named David Palmer created the first chair that shook those who sat on it. While it was technically the first massage chair, it certainly was nothing like what we see today. With advancements in technology, massage chairs have come a long way since the old days.
Massage chairs usually use two basic forms of massage to melt away the pain and tension in your back and/or body. The first style is Shiatsu massage, of Japanese origin. “Shiatsu” literally translates to “finger pressure”. This style of massage uses fingers, thumbs, feet and palms to target the areas of pain in your body and work out muscles. A Shiatsu massage chair works by tapping, kneading, and rolling out the muscles through the use of a roller system embedded in the chair. The main goal in a Shiatsu massage chair is to mimic the way a traditional human Shiatsu massage would (and many of the leading massage chairs do it very well).
The second technique commonly found in massage chairs is Swedish massage. Swedish massage is one of the most popular forms of massage. They usually range in intensity by using different stroking methods to easy the muscles. Often you’ll see massage chairs utilizing a form of Swedish massage by shaking the chair in specific spots to get rid of knots and bring blood to specific areas on the body.
The last massage technique commonly found in massage chairs in Thai massage. While not as common as Swedish or Shiatsu, Thai massage is still very effective and helping to easy any muscle pain. This type of massage works by primarily using different methods of stretching as well as deep, full-body massage that progresses from the feet upwards.
Types of Massage Chairs
Since exploding in popularity, there are many different types of massage chairs on the market today. Each one has its own set of benefits and some types can be combined for example, . Here are the top ones…
If you’re looking for the best massage chair and reading through reviews, you’ll undoubtedly see the words “zero gravity” countless times. The term zero gravity on a massage chair does not literally mean it will make you hover. It will, however, put you in the same position the astronauts are when they’re about to take off on a shuttle. This is important because is helps to distribute the sitters weight across the entire massage chair. This helps to relieve tension and stress that is relegated to one specific location on your body due to tension. For example, if you sit while working all day, your lower back my start to hurt because of the stress and tension put on it by gravity. However, a zero gravity massage chair will ease the tension in that location by putting your body in a position whereby gravity pushes down on all points of your body rather than just one (your lower back).
Full-Body Massage Chairs
If you’re looking for the Cadillac of massage chairs, the cream of the crop, the best of the best, than you are in need of a full-body massage chair. These types of chairs do exactly what their names say: give your entire body a massage. Some chairs work the back and legs while others go as far as massaging every single point in your body including your head, neck, back, arms, legs, and even your feet. Yes, these chairs aren’t exactly cheap. However, if you are looking for a life-changing massage chair, this type of chair might be what you need.
Reclining Massage Chairs
While not true massage chairs, per say, some recliners do have a massage function. Reclining massage chairs are often recliners first and massage chairs second. By this I mean that they offer simple massages and are truly only meant for simple relaxation, not true Shiatsu, Swedish, or even Thai massage. The benefits of reclining massage chairs are that they usually cost a bit less than zero gravity or full-body chairs (without the added benefits).
Heated Massage Chairs
For the full massage effect, heated massage chairs help to relax your muscles by adding heat in specific areas on your body. Heat added with the rolling or kneading effects of the massage chair work to amplify the relaxing effects. When looking at massage chairs for back pain, look ones that offer applied heat in specific locations. This will definitely help aid in the overall relaxation and in helping to release the tension in your muscles.
Massage Chair Pads
If you cannot afford a full-scale massage chair, there is always a massage chair pad. These pads can be added to chairs you already own. However, their effects are very minimal in comparison to the massage chairs on this website. In fact, many massage chair pads aren’t truly effective in aiding any sort of muscle tension. They might be good office massage chair replacements (if you can’t afford one) but if you want the “real deal”, you should go with a zero gravity or full-body massage chair with applied heating.
Benefits of Massage Chairs
Just like a massage you would receive at a spa, a massage on a massage chair provides the exact same benefits. Here are just a few of the major health benefits that massage chairs provide…
- Stress Relief: Every day your body is hit with different types of stress. This stress can range from physical to mental to emotional. All of it can really take its toll on your body. Massage chairs work to relieve all forms of stress
- Improved Circulation: Getting the blood pumping through your system is an important way of healing your muscles. The different massage techniques, from Shiatsu to Swedish, work to improve blood circulation throughout the entire body.
- Relieves Pinches Nerves: If you’ve ever received a pinched nerve, you know exactly how painful and annoying it can be. Massage through a full-body or zero gravity chair can speed up the healing process.
- Relieves Lower Back Pain: One of the most common types of back pain is lower back pain. This is due to the fact that almost every job forces us to sit down at a desk in front of a computer for hours every day. Many massage chairs are preprogrammed to focus on specific areas in your lower back to ease stress and tension.
- Relaxes Muscles: This one is a no-brainer. The main goal of massage in general is to relax your muscles.
- Helps Maintain Good Posture: As mentioned above, many jobs force us to sit a lot during the day. All this sitting really takes its toll on our backs, causing pain, which then causes us to slouch over. This slouching can cause a permanent curve in our spines, causing bad posture. Massage works by helping to ease tense muscles that are sore due to sitting all day and help you maintain a good posture.
- Improves Your Mood: Studies have shown that massage can help those who have depression by improving their mood. This is because massage chairs help your body release serotonin and dopamine, both of which make you feel happy.
- Relieves Muscles Spasms: Spasms in the back or any other part of your body are not fun and can be incredibly painful. Sitting in a full-body or zero gravity chair with applied heat can help stop contractions or spasms caused by tense muscles.
- Relieves Headaches: It may seem crazy but a good massage has been linked to lower amounts of headaches. Research has shown that massage has even become a nonpharmalogical options in helping to treat tension headaches.
- Helps With Mental Clarity: Blood circulation is important for more than just your muscles, it also helps you think clearer by pumping more oxygen (in your blood) through your body. Regular use of a massage chair improves circulation, which will also improve mental clarity.
- Lowers Blood Pressure: High blood pressure (also known as hypertension) plagues most adult Americans. Hypertension is a result of many factors but it seems to always come back to the stresses of daily life. In relieving stress you are able to lower blood pressure. As you may have already guessed, massage chairs can dramatically help in reducing stress, which has ample effect in lowering blood pressure.
- Boosts Immune System: Stress increases cortisol levels, which decrease your immune system. Regular massage helps to keep your cortisol levels in check.
Want to learn more about the health benefits of massage chairs? Read my full article here.
Best Massage Chair Reviews of 2017
Now that you’ve learned more about the site, how massage chairs work, the different types, and their benefits, it’s time to dive into the best massage chairs of 2017. Below you will see a short description of each of the top massage chairs, their price, and their review rating. You will also be able to click through to read the full comprehensive review on the massage chair.
|Massage Chair Brand Name||Rating (out of 10)||Price ($ to $$$$$)|
Human Touch iJoy 2580
Inada Sogno Dreamwave
Osaki OS-3D Pro Dreamer
Beauty Health Massage Chair
If you’re in the market for a massage chair that comes with all the features you may ever need, you might be looking for the Beauty Health massage chair. This chair is perfect for customizing each massage to your specific needs (all at a very competitive price).
One of the top massage features that the Beauty Health chair offers is 3D Scan technology. It sounds futuristic, right? 3D scan technology actually conducts a full 3D scan of your body prior to starting your massage. This helps the chair pinpoint, with great accuracy, exactly where to focus on for maximum muscle relaxation.
To make this massage chair as simple to use as possible, Beauty Health offers a variety of different massages preprogrammed into it. Regardless of what type of massage you’re interested in receiving, there is probably one for you. That’s because there are a staggering 24 different types of massages that can be selected.
To make this chair even more customizable Beauty Health added adjustable roller settings. This allows you to select whether you’d like flapping, knocking, massaging, rolling, or a variety of other techniques to help relax your body.
The airbag technology in the Beauty Health massage chair allows it to massage your lower body just as well as it massages your upper body (back). You will find 14 airbags in the foot area. These airbags conform to your foot/leg area and massage out specific areas, bringing an overall sense of comfort while sitting in the massage chair.
If you were wondering, yes, heating is available to aid in sore muscles. Just as a warm bath helps to reduce tension and melt away stress, the heat in the Beauty Health chair does just the same.
In all, this massage chair is a great option for those looking for their first massage chair. It offers a lot of impressive features and an amazing 10-year warranty (currently offered by the manufacturer – subject to change). That means if anything goes wrong, you can call the manufacturer to get it fixed.
Want to learn more about the Beauty Health massage chair? Read the full review here.View Price
Massage chairs come in a lot of different shapes and sizes. Sometimes they have all of the features you’re looking for but just seem a little too expensive. If you’re looking for a massage chair that has all features you could ever need at a price that wont break the bank, the Bestmassage EC-06C is a great options to consider purchasing.
The Bestmassage EC-06C offers an automatic zero gravity function which turns the massage chair almost parallel to the ground. In this way your muscles do not feel the full effects of gravity pushing down on them in certain points, thus a more even massage can be had. The best part about the EC-06C zero gravity functionality is that it is as simple as pressing a button and waiting a few seconds for the chair to get into position. There’s no fuddling with controls or trying to figure out where the right button is, it’s right there in front of you.
The differences between a good massage chair and a great massage chair are often subtle. One of the defining elements are the inclusion of preprogrammed massages. The Bestmassage Ec-06C offers a wide variety of different massage functions. Do you need to relax? There’s a preprogrammed massage for that. Just get back from the gym and need to aid your muscles in recovering? There’s a preprogrammed massage for that. Just want to feel refreshed after a long day? Yes, there’s even a preprogrammed massage for that. The power rollers in this massage chair offer Shiatsu style massages that are as close to a human touch as possible. These Shiatsu techniques include kneading, compression, percussion, chopping, and more.
If you hold a lot of stress in your neck area, you may want to think about purchasing this chair. Its neck massager feature is one that isn’t seen in many other massage chairs. It works by targeting “tsubo points” on your neck, stress points that often lead to pain if not properly cared for.
To add to the overall relaxing and comforting features this massage chair has, it also offers applies heating. The way that the interface is, it makes turning the heating on and off very simple. Applied heating in a massage chair is the perfect way to add an extra touch of relaxation to your massage.
Many massage chairs come in one style so if you’re looking to match them to your home or office, it can be tricky. However, the Bestmassage EC-06C comes in three different styles so you can choose the one that best suits the surroundings.
Overall this is a great massage chair and offers an incredible amount of features. What’s even more amazing is the price that it sells for – under $1,000. While it doesn’t have every single feature that the full-body massage chairs has, it is competitively priced under a grand. If you’re on a budget and want to experience the a top-notch massage chair, the Bestmassage EC-06C might be exactly what you’re looking for.
Want to learn more about the Bestmassage EC-06C massage chair? Read the full review here.View Price
Human Touch iJoy 2580
Many massage chairs are big and clunky. They can be very hard to move unless you have two or three people helping you move it. And they always need a big room to be put in. If you are looking for a great massage chair that is easy to move and small enough to fit in almost any room in your house, check out the Human Touch iJoy 2580. This massage chair is a great entry-level chair for those who want all the benefits of massage but don’t necessarily have all of the space. The best part? It often sells for under $1,000!
Now let’s talk about features. You wouldn’t think an entry-level, cheap massage chair would necessarily have all the bells and whistles of a premium chair… The iJoy 2580 does. It offers 3 automatic preprogrammed massages: one to refresh your back, one to relieve neck and shoulder stress, and another to release your lower back of tension. While 3 preprogrammed massages may not sound like a lot, it’s perfect if you’re looking for simplicity in a chair.
The iJoy 2580 focuses on your back. It isn’t technically a full-body massage chair but what it lacks in massaging other body parts, it makes up for in massaging your back. The iJoy 2580 gives you full back coverage and targets specific areas of stress in tension in the back.
Want to relax at 180 degrees? The iJoy 2580 gives you the ability to doze off in a sleeping position while the chair gives you a relaxing massage. The 180 degree position also allows the massage to be more even as your full back is pressed up on the rollers.
When it comes to massage chairs, the higher-end models are almost always tough to use. They usually have a lot of buttons and switches that take some time to learn how to use properly. With the Human Touch iJoy 2580 you never have to worry about being confused. The built-in control panel makes starting and stopping massages as easy as a push of a button (literally just one button).
As mentioned above, this massage chair is priced incredibly competitive at under $1,000. Check out what it’s going for on Amazon. Last I checked it was around $800 total.
Want to learn more about the Human Touch iJoy 2580? Read the full review here.View Price
Now we’re starting to get into some of the more advanced massage chairs. Meet the Infinity IT-8500. This chair comes loaded with a lot of the bells and whistles you’ll often see in the ultra-luxury massage chairs I get into later. When it comes down to it, this chair does exactly what you need it to do — provide an amazingly relaxing massage that eases muscle tension and provides stress relief when you need it to.
Let’s get into the features of this ultimate massage chair. The Infinity IT-8500 offers an incredible range of motion. That means it targets way more than just your upper and lower back. This chair gives you a proper full-body massage by targeting your neck, shoulders, legs, and feet as well. All of the massagers work in tandem to give you a feeling of true heavenly bliss when you’re sitting in it.
Want to add a little more luxury to your massage? There’s no better way than listening to soothing music or ambient noise (such as ocean waves, bird, or running water). The IT-8500 gives you the ability to listen to anything your heart desires, from music to ambient noise, to podcasts. There are speakers embedded into the headrest, perfectly situated so that you can hear whatever you’re playing at a soothing volume. What’s even more impressive than the fact that this massage chair has a built in sound system is the fact that the music can be synced to the massage. That means the beats in the music will correspond to the massage rhythm. How amazing is that?
The airbag massage technology that is in the IT-8500 means that it actually envelops your body parts (legs, feet, arms) in the massage chair for a more custom massage. Rather than the roller balls just pushing up on your body, the airbags allow the most precise massage, tailor-fitted to your body specifications.
Last, but certainly not least, the Infinity IT-8500 is a zero gravity chair with applied heating. That means, when in the zero gravity position, your body will be relieved of certain tension point due to gravity (such as your lower back). Experiencing a zero gravity massage in the Infinity IT-8500 certainly is heavenly. Some of the other reviewers have said things such as, “[I] truly believe it helps keep me pain free…”
Want to learn more about the Infinity IT-8500? Read the full review here.View Price
Now we’re starting to go from mid-level massage chair to luxury massage chairs. The Infinity Iyashi massage chair is a chair you have to see to believe. It may remind you of the chair a captain in a space shuttle would sit in. While its futuristic, modern design certainly is cool, what’s even more cool are all of the amazing features this chair packs.
Many premium massage chairs offer zero gravity positions. Zero gravity is a great way to even out your massage by putting your body in the best position possible for less tension from gravity. The Infinitiy Iyashi takes this a step further by offering its users two different zero gravity positions. Why is this important? With two different positions you will be able to figure out which is best for your specific body shape and size, giving you a more customized massage.
When it comes to the fundemantals of what make a massage chair what it is, it all comes down to the roller inside of it. If you have a tiny roller or one without much power, you’re going to get a massage that doesn’t have much intensity and honestly won’t do much to help relax your muscles. However, if you get a massage in a chair that uses a big roller (like the Infinity Iyashi) you’re going to feel a big different. The Iyashi massage chair has a 49-inch roller that is shaped like the letter “L”. This helps it provide a massage that contours your entire back with precision.
I’ve mentioned above the importance of airbags in that they help conform to your body, adding a tailor-fitted approach to massage. In taking it even a step further, the Infinity Iyashi contains 38 muli-layered airbags that work to provide more compression to specific areas of your body which allow the roller to do its job even better.
To make your life easier, so you don’t have to fiddle around with the controls trying to create a massage, the Infinity Iyashi comes with six automatic massages preprogrammed into the chair. That makes starting a massage as easy as pressing a few buttons, sitting back, and relaxing.
This beast of a massage chair also comes with my favorite massage chair feature, applied heating. Sit back and feel the soothing power of the rollers combined with the applied heat just melt away all of the stress and tension in your muscles.
To add even more luxury to your massage, the Infinity Iyashi adds two very interesting features: soothing ambient light and bluetooth speakers. Think about this for a second… You come home from a long day at work and just want to relax. You walk into the room where your massage chair is, turn off the lights, and turn on the chair. The chair subtly comes to life and begins playing a relaxing melody while a display of lights calmly set the mood in the room. If that doesn’t sound like heaven, I don’t know what does!
Want to read more about the Infinity Iyashi massage chair? Read the full review here.View Price
Inada Sogno Dreamwave
You can find massage chairs that have a lot of features but when it comes down to it, you really buy a massage chair for one thing, a massage. The Inada Sogno Dreamwave offers you any incredibly powerful massage with a lot of body coverage.
The roller on the Inada Sogno Dreamwave runs from the top of your neck all the way down your upper glutes. It actually measures in at 23.4 inches, which it pretty long for a roller in a massage chair. In addition to a long roller, it contains 13 motors and over 100 air massagers. As you can see, this massage chair offers coverage of every single point on your body. Almost no spot on your body will go untouched when sitting in this massage chair.
To make your life as easy as possible when operating this massage chair there are eight preset programs. These preprogrammed massages include: morning, night, full body, full body air, stretch, quick, dreamwave, and youth. Each one provides a different, yet soothing, massage that works to target specific points on your body.
Don’t want to turn on one of the preprogrammed massages? If you’d rather take controls into your own hands, you can with the Dreamwave’s manual mode. It has over eighteen different manual massage types so you can really personalize your massage based on your different needs.
What might be the defining feature in the Inada Sogno Dreamwave is its infrared sensor technology. This chair contains an infrared sensor that works to locate the exact points on your body where you need to be massaged in order to work out deep knots and tension. In a way, this technology could make this massage chair even greater than any human powered massage you could ever get.
In addition to massage programs, the Dreamwave massage chair also offers stretching. This is a key differentiator in that many other massage chairs on the market don’t have stretching programs. This would be perfect for individuals who work in any physical labor or those who frequent the gym. The stretching functions lengthen the muscles, making them less tense and less likely to get pulled in any way.
Want to learn more about the Inada Sogno Dreamwave? Read the full review here.View Price
Being able to personalize your massage is key to truly getting that perfect massage, one that leaves you in a state of bliss and utter relaxation. The Osaki OS-4000 gives you the most customizable massage possible. This is due to the amazing body scan feature. This feature works by scanning your body and automatically adjusting the massage chair to fit your exact body specification. That means no matter if you’re super tall, super short, or in between, you’ll find the perfect massage chair proportions to fit your body.
In addition to the amazing body scan technology feature, the Osaki OS-4000 massage chair takes personalization to the next level by curving the chair to your spine. It is built with an S-track design, which mimics the curving of your spine. This allows for more support and a deeper massage when the chair is turned on. If you have tense muscles in hard to reach nooks and crannies on your back, you’ll certainly appreciate this feature.
The “cherry on top” of this beautiful chair is the zero gravity fuctionality. As mentioned above, zero gravity allows you to get your body in a position whereby all pressure points are relieved. It actually puts you in the same position that astronauts are in during space shuttle lift off. This position puts your body in the best possible position to be massaged as all of the targeted muscles will be pressed against the massage rollers for the deepest, most relaxing massage possible.
This chair also comes with some great additional specs such as twin-rollers, 32 airbags, and lower back heat therapy. If you find that your lower back is constantly in pain from sitting too much or physical labor, heat therapy can certainly work wonders to relax those agitated muscles.
Want to learn more about the Osaki OS-4000? Read the full review here.View Price
If you like the Osaki OS-4000 but you want even more power and features, the Osaki OS-4000t is what you’re looking for. When it comes down to it, yes, they are technically very close in what they offer. However, the OS-4000t has a few extra perks.
The first of those perks is the addition of a foot massager. If your feet get tired and sore from walking around, you know exactly how amazing a good foot massage can feel. Now imagine getting a full body massage in addition to a foot massage. Sounds like heaven, right? The OS-4000 offered a smaller version of this foot massage (just accupoint massage on the soles of your feet). The OS-4000t offers the real deal when it comes to foot massage.
In addition to that, the Osaki OS-4000t has a completely new and upgraded airbag system. Osaki was able to redesign their airbag technology so that this massage chair actually has less airbags which means they can cover more surface area. Not only that but fewer airbags also means less stress on the chair because of less valves. All of this allows the chair to run longer without you having to worry about repairs.
All of the other features, while still incredibly impressive, are all standard on the OS-4000 model. It comes with zero gravity positions, s-track rollers which shape the curvature of your spine, and body scanning technology for the most personalized massage you can get.
Want to learn more about the Osaki OS-4000t? Read the full review here.View Price
Osaki OS-3D Pro Dreamer
If you like everything you saw in the Osaki OS-4000 and OS-4000t but you’re looking for the next level of massage chair, meet the Osaki OS-3D Pro Dreamer. This chair is the big brother of the OS-4000 series. What makes it so special. Well, it has everything you see in other premium luxury massage chairs: zero gravity positions, customization features, pre-programmed massages, and even stretching fuctions. However, what really sets the OS-3D Pro Dreamer apart from other massage chairs is its 3D massage rollers. The 3D massage rollers allow you to get a deeper, more intense massage by adjusting the length at which the massagers come out of the chair and massage your body at.
As mentioned above, the OS-3D Pro Dreamer offers zero gravity. However, there are two different zero gravity positions. This not only helps to decompress your spine as you’re getting your massage, the additional zero gravity position puts you at a full parallel position with the ground. This allows the rollers to really dig deep into the muscles and provide a much more thorough massage.
One key feature to note is that this is a bigger massage chair and can accommodate people with wide shoulders or those who are taller than six feet.
Want to learn more about the Osaki OS-3D Pro Dreamer? Read the full review here.View Price
The perfect massage chair doesn’t mean you have to spend an arm and a leg. In fact, the Osaki OS-7075R is a massage chair that offers just that: all the great benefits of a premium luxury massage chair without the hefty price tag.
Before we get into technology and features, it’s important to note that this chair comes in four different colors: taupe, black, brown, and cream. Unlike many other massage chairs out there that only come in one color, this makes matching it to your home or office much easier.
The Osaki OS-7075R is known for its deep massages. If you’re the kind of person who gets stubborn knots in their back that just wont seem to come out, this chair can certainly help.
Like many of the other chairs mentions, the OS-7075R has a zero gravity position that takes off all of the strain and pressure that gravity puts on your back. This feature helps to amplify the deep tissue shiatsu massage that the Osaki OS-7075R gives you.
One of the most popular features of this chair is its “stretch” function. This stretch mode is a preset program that holds your shoulders and calves in place to help arch your back while the rollers move up and down to massage you. This option is great for helping to decompress the spine while at the same time helping to correct your posture.
Unlike many other massage chairs, the OS-7075R has a removable head massager that slips over your head. Many other massage chairs only massage the back and side of your head as they are attached to the chair itself. With the OS-7075R massage chair head massage feature, the airbags inflate to fit any size head and the rollers inside give a delicate or deep massage (based on your preference).
Want to learn more about the Osaki OS-7075R massage chair? Read our full review here.View Price
Tips For Purchasing a Massage Chair
Okay, now that you know more about the top 10 best rated massage chairs available, and, based on my personal opinion, the best massage chairs in the world. Now how do you make your final decision? It’s the question I’m asked most frequently. Let’s dive into exactly what you should ask before pulling the trigger and purchasing a massage chair…
How much are you willing to spend?
This is the big question that is on everyones mind when they’re thinking about purchasing a massage chair. When I am asked questions about prices of massage chairs, my main response is, “how much would you invest in the future of your health?” because that’s what you’re doing. At the end of the day, a massage chair is an investment in your health and the health of other individuals (friends and family) that use it too. For some people the health benefits are as simple as stress relief or as important as reducing hypertension so that they don’t have another heart attack. Whatever the reason, make sure to think about that when budgeting what massage chair you’re looking at purchasing.
What features do I need versus what features do I want?
In a perfect world everyone would love to have a massage chair with all the features available. However, we don’t live in a perfect world and we often have to make cutbacks in some places to save money. Think about all of the features you need in a chair to get the best massage for you personally. Use those features as a guide to picking the right chair. If you find a chair that has all the features you need and it comes in under your budget, then start thinking about additional features you may want in a chair.
What is the warranty on the massage chair?
As mentioned above and plenty of times elsewhere on this site, a massage chair is an investment. You want that investment to last. A warranty ensures that your chair holds up and you don’t lose money investing in something that is going to break down on you. The above chairs all come with some sort of warranty (some better than others). My recommendation is to always purchase a chair that has some form of a warranty.
Am I purchasing this massage chair from a reputable seller?
There are a lot of shady websites on the internet. You don’t want to purchase your massage chair from a seller that is either going to take your money and run, deliver a shoddy chair, or not accept a return (if the chair is broken). Be sure to really inspect each and every seller you’re thinking of going with. My personal recommendation is to go with Amazon. They have top of the line customer support and when you purchase a high priced item like a massage chair from them they really give you the white glove treatment.
How big of a massage chair do I want?
One thing a long of people fail to think about before purchasing a massage chair is where they are going to put it. Some chairs are really big and when they go into zero gravity mode they get even bigger. You will want to make sure you either make enough room for the chair or choose a massage chair that isn’t quite so big.
Does the massage chair brand have a good reputation?
The brand of the massage chair is another thing to keep in mind. Some massage chair brands are very recognizable such as Panasonic, others have been around for a long time but aren’t so recognizable, such as Osaki. Many of the brands will have Asian names. This is because massage chairs are very popular in places like Japan. If you are purchasing your chair in the United States, don’t let this discourage you. Brands such as Osaki, Inada, Cozzia, Ogawa, HoMedics, Sanyo, Human Touch, Panasonic, iJoy, OSIM, Luraco, iComfort, and Infinity (among others) are all reputable massage chair brands.
Is it simple to repair?
Last, but certainly not least, you will want to go with a massage chair that is relatively simple to fix. Look, a massage chair is a machine. After time, through wear and tear, your massage chair might need a “tune up” (for example a roller might need to be replaced). This is totally normal and not something that you should be afraid of or something that should hold you back from making a purchase. Just know to look for a massage chair that isn’t incredibly hard to fix. Luckily for you, all of the massage chairs reviewed on this website are fixable (within reason).
How Massage Chairs Work
Before making your purchase, you’re probably interested in learning how a massage chair functions. The chairs talked about on this website (high end massage chairs) have a lot of different competent. Each component plays a different role in helping the chair do its duty of massaging you.
- Motors: The motors that make up a massage chair are really what give it its power. More motors usually means there are more points at which the massage chair can massage you.
- Airbags: The airbags in a massage chair are what help compress your body to the chair. For example, there might be airbags in the arm regions of the massage chair that compress your arms into the chair so the rollers can give a deeper, more personalized massage. Airbags are usually found in the arm, leg, and sometimes the shoulder region of the chair.
- Rollers: There are a few different type of massage chair rollers. You will usually see chairs with S-Track or L-Track rollers. These different types just describe how the roller is shaped. An S-Track roller curves to the spine more whereas an L-Track roller is flatter. The L-Track rollers are slightly newer and longer (they reach from the shoulders down to below the tailbone.
- Computer System: Big or small, every massage chair is run by a computer system. This computer is basically the brains behind the chair and controls how everything works in tandem.
- Misc Technology: Some chairs come with additional components. You may see things like head massagers and body scan technology in some massage chairs. Massage chair manufacturers are always pushing the envelope in what they can add to give the users of their chairs a better massage experience. They also want to help their chair stand out among the others on the market!
Massage Chair Brands
Choosing a reputable massage chair brand is key to ensuring that you pick a chair that is going to make you happy and last a long time. Below you will find an outline of the different massage chair brands on the market.
- Inada: Since their inception in 1962 Inada has continuously pushed the bar in terms of what is possible with massage chairs. Year after year they have won awards at the Consumer Electronics Show. What makes Inada chairs one of the top massage chairs you can buy is their dedication to creating a therapeutic massage chair (one that actually has medical benefits). In fact, Inada chairs are registered with the FDA as Class I medical devices. Why I personally like Inada chairs is because the technology on them is incredible. The DreamWave model chairs have features such as infrared scanning technology and 100 separate inflatable air cells to help compress body parts to the chair for a better massage. All of the Inada chair models are very impressive.
- Osaki: One of the newer, yet impressive, massage chair companies is Osaki. They consistantly deliver quality products and are able to price their chairs very competitively. That is why you see a lot of Osaki chairs listed above. Beyond chairs, they offer quite a lot of other massage products (foot massagers, head massagers, etc). My favorite Osaki line is the OS-4000 and OS-4000t (reviewed above). The chairs that Osaki makes are solid and dependable. As mentioned on their about page, and from what I can tell based on other reviews, they strive to provide the highest standard in customer service. This is a plus when buying a big ticket item like a massage chair. You want to be 100% sure of everything before you actually make the purchase. Osaki’s commitment to customer service definitely makes the purchase of their chairs a lot less scary.
- Panasonic: You may know them for their televisions and other consumer electronics but Panasonic has been selling massage chairs since the 1960’s. While massage chairs are not the bread and butter of Panasonic, you be sure they know what their doing when it comes to the electronics and technology behind the chairs.
- Ogawa: Established in 1996, OGAWA is a Malaysian health and wellness company. Their focus is on overall relaxation through their products, which range from massage chairs to massage bands. If you take a look at some of their products, you’ll realize that they blend relaxation with modern design. I’m a big fan of some of their more modern chairs that really push the envelope in terms of design and aesthetics.
- HoMedics: As one of the more popular massage chair companies, HoMedics bills themselves as a company that focuses on creating a healthy home environment. They don’t just manufacturing and selling massage chairs, they also sell products that help with overall relaxation (sleep, air quality, and more).
- Sanyo: Most popular for their televisions, Sanyo also produces massage chairs. In 2008 Panasonic and Sanyo merged (Sanyo became a subsidiary of Panasonic). Technically their chairs are created under the same company but they are manufactured differently and sold under a different price point.
- Cozzia: If you’re looking for the ultimate in luxury massage chairs, Cozzia is where it’s at. The chairs that Cozzia builds are works of art. They are the Bently’s of the massage chair world. They are owned by Xiamen Comfort Science and Technology and manufacture their chairs in China. Their manufacturing facilities are pretty impressive, having a location that spans almost 2 million square feet. While their chairs are incredible, they are also more of an investment than many other massage chairs on the market.
- Human Touch:Their mission statement says, that “Human Touch provides innovative products and experiences that deliver life changing benefits.” I would have to agree. Human Touch only manufacturers and sells massage chairs (as well as some accessories). They might be one of the most popular massage chair manufacturers in the industry. What I love most about this brand is the fact that they employ real customer service representatives based in California. That means if you have any questions at all about your chair, you can give them a ring and they will answer your questions (no talking to a robot).
- Infinity: Another massage chair company that pushes the bar when it comes to the technology and design is Infinity. They are listed as one of our top ten massage chairs for a reason, because they truly are one of the best. When compared to some of the other companies, Infinity is relatively new, having entered into the massage chair business in 2009. Regardless, they still make a great massage chair and like Human Touch, they focus on a greta customer experience.
- iComfort: A Canadian company, iComfort offers a wide variety of different massage products: massage chairs, infrared saunas, foot massagers, portable massagers, neck massagers, and eye massagers.
- Kahuna: A California based company, Kahuna offers a wide variety of different massage chairs. What people love about Kahuna massage chairs is that no matter your budget, you will find a massage chair that fits it. They have introductory massage chairs starting around $1,300 and premium-level massage chairs upwards of $5,000. I’m definitely impressed with their product range.
Massage Chair FAQ
Now that you’re thoroughly well informed on the different massage chairs available, their reviews, the brands, and how everything works, I will answer the most common questions I receive about massage chairs. If you have any questions that are not answered below, please feel free to leave a comment or reach out to me via the contact page. I try to answer all of the questions asked and add them to this FAQ section.
Do I have to pay for shipping?
Often times you will not be asked to pay for shipping. I know that Amazon usually offers free shipping through a lot of their sellers as well as for Prime members.
How long does it take to setup the chair?
Setup time depends on the chair. Some of the premium/luxury massage chairs come more assembled and take less time to assemble. However, it really does vary. In addition to the manual that all companies send with their chairs, there are also a slew of tutorials on the internet that will walk you through how to assemble the massage chair you end up purchasing. We have also added PDF versions of the official user manuals to all of our massage chair reviews.
I cannot put the chair together. Will someone setup the chair for me?
You have a few options. If you purchase the chair via Amazon, there should be the option to have an Amazon workman assemble the chair. However, if you don’t have that option, you can definitely hire someone in your neighborhood to assemble it as it should be relatively simple.
Why is it worth buying a more expensive chair?
The different in price always comes down to quality and features. When you pay more, you get more quality (less of a chance of it breaking down in the future) and features (things like head massagers, zero gravity positions, and more).
I’m above the age of 65, will a massage chair help me?
It definitely can help! Massage chairs are used by people of all ages because of their amazing benefits (including stress relief).
What happens if the massage chair breaks?
Many of the massage chairs mentioned on this site come with a warranty of some sort. Definitely be sure that the chair you’re interested in comes with some type of warranty so that you have peace of mind while you own it.
There you have it, your full guide to the best massage chairs you can buy. No matter if you’re looking for a luxury shiatsu massage chair or just a chair to fit in your living room for occasional use, you will be able to use this website as a guide to make the most well-informed decision. Again, if you have any questions regarding what massage chair your should go with, I am happy to answer them for you.